(Healthy Living) 5 Things To Do After Every Workout
As reported by Charlotte Evans of BlackDoctor.org
Youâ€™re constantly told what to do before and during a workout but what about after youâ€™re done? Here are 5 practices you should tack on to the end of every workout. By following these workout recovery guidelines, youâ€™ll make the most of your time spent in the gym:
1. Cool down. A simple five-minute cool-down is sufficient in preventing the pooling of blood in your extremities, which can otherwise make you dizzy and increase your risk of fainting.
2. Stretch! Once your heart rate is slow and steady, stretching your muscles and joints while theyâ€™re still warm helps prevent tight muscles and stiff joints and improves your flexibility.
3. Drink plenty of water. Itâ€™s important before, during and after your workout, so donâ€™t forget to water-proof your exercise.
4. Refuel after exercise. Itâ€™s the key to improving strength and fitness. But burning off a lot of calories isnâ€™t a valid excuse for eating a double cheeseburger. Instead, fuel up within 30 minutes after exercise by eating a carb-rich snack combined with some lean protein such as an orange plus one serving of low-fat yogurt or a banana with peanut butter.
5. Include rest days in your fitness plan to prevent any plateaus. You should always give your body 24 hours of rest in between doing specific exercises. For example, do your weight-lifting routine every other day with cardio sessions in between.